6+1 Writing Traits
In Language Arts this year, we will use the writing model,�Writing Traits 6+1. Unquestionably, good writing happens over time, with lots of practice and lots of support. In class we will focus on the following: Ideas, Organization, Voice, Word Choice, Sentence Fluency, and Conventions. The�Trait Model�gives the students the TOOLS that they need to move forward to become better writers. Therefore, if students are to learn, they must write.
1. Ideas -Find a topic, Focusing on the topic, Developing the topic, and Using details
2. Organization - Creating the lead, Using Transitions words, Structuring the body, and Ending with a resolution
3. Voice - Establishing a tone, Conveying a purpose, Creating a connection to the audience, and Taking risks
4. Word Choice - Applying strong verbs, Selecting striking words, Using specific and accurate words, and Choosing words that deepen meaning.
5. Sentence Fluency - Crafting well-built sentences, varying sentence types, capturing smooth and rhythmic flow, and Breaking "rules" to create fluency.
6. Conventions - Checking Spelling, Punctuating effectively and paragraphing accurately, Capitalizing correctly, and Applying grammar and usage.
+ Presentation - formatting: headers, double spacing, tabbing,and a variety of other tips based on assignment.